Monday, November 5, 2012

Home made Cinnamon Rolls



Rolls

1 package of dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 t salt
2 eggs
4 cups flour

Filling

1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 T cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

Icing

stick of butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 t vanilla
1/8 t salt

Directions

1) In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk
2) Add sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and flour, mix well
3) Knead dough into a large ball
4) Cover and let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size
5) Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until approximately 21x16 inches and 1/4 inch thick
6) To make filling, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl
7) Spread the melted butter over the surface of the dough then sprinkle sugar mix evenly over the surface
8) Carefully roll the dough from the long edge
9) Cut the dough into 1 3/4 inch slices and place on a lightly greased baking pan
10) Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned
11) Combine icing ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer until fluffy
12) When rolls are done, spread generously with icing

Personal Notes

- I only make half of the filling and think it is plenty.
- I use 4 ounces of cream cheese in the icing instead of 2. 
- I start with 2 c whole wheat flour and 2 c all purpose flour.  I end up adding quite a bit of additional white flour as I'm kneading to make a soft but non-sticky dough.  Quite a bit as in probably 1/2 cup-ish??  Just guessing, I don't measure.  :)
- I recommend kneading for 6-8 minutes.  

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment